Ka-Click Pop KcSsshhhh……this is best description I can write of what I heard at 8:30am at work on Thursday morning. What I heard was a can of soft drink opening and I just thought NOOOOO you can’t be serious! Horrified at what I heard I text messaged my husband and he wrote back “Remember that family at that forest restaurant outside Disneyland having pizza and coke for breky!!!!!”. Suddenly I had one of those light bulb moments….Sunday morning breakfast – what about a healthy Breakfast Pizza! I’ll come back to the fact that I am continually amazed and disgusted at what people eat for lunch in my building (21 floors of corporate sector and public service) in another post soon about workplace health and the expanding waistlines and increasingly sedentary lifestyles that are becoming the norm……
But firstly, here’s the recipe for Breakfast Pizza…..What you need (serves two for breakfast):
- 1 & 1/4 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup LSA (Linseed, sunflower and almond)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- BBQ sauce
- 4 eggs (one for the base and 3 for the pizza)
- 5 rashes bacon (cut into long strips)
- 150g mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 large capsicum (diced/sliced)
- 1 red onion (halved and sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 tomato (halved and sliced)
How to do it:
- Preheat the oven to 180degC
- The base is easy as, mix the almond meal, the LSA, baking powder and salt together with an egg and then roll out with a rolling pin (or something cylindrical and heavy if you don’t have one). Roll out the base between two sheets of baking powder and place on a big baking tray. Peel off the top layer of baking powder before you bake it in the oven.
- Bake the base in the oven for 8-10 minutes, you don’t want it too crispy just yet!
- While the base is baking, cook the bacon, onion and garlic in a saucepan for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
- Once you have taken the base out of the oven, spread 2 Tbs BBQ sauce over the base and then start to load in this order: mushrooms, capsicum, tomato, bacon and onion – and then crack the eggs over the pizza.
- Raise the temperature of the oven to 210degC and bake in the oven for a further 10 -15minutes. When you can see the eggs are cooked and the veggies are looking cooked on top take it out of the oven and place on a board, slice and serve!
If you want to use more toppings or change them up – knock your socks off! This is just what we did this morning using cooked breakfast like ingredients.